Monday, August 17, 2009

Book Review: Bend-the-Rules Sewing by...

I thought I would start to review some of the books that have been crossing my desk (read: lap) lately. I will start with one of the books that is providing inspiration and instruction for some of my handmade Christmas projects.

Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew is a book filled with great information for the beginner sewist and great ideas for the seasoned stitcher. Her pattern instructions are clear and concise but you really feel like you are just chatting with your super crafty friend. The patterns themselves are such a breath of fresh air. They are whimsical and useful. The artsy clutch is a great addition to anyone's purse and I will say that it is the prefect size for stashing all of your time of the month goodies and transporting them to the bathroom in style. The woodland elf hat is so cute it could make me scream and the easy lap quilt is a great first quilting project.

I would ( and will) make many of the projects in this book. It is a wonderful resource for gift giving. There are several quick and delightful projects (the Tea Cozy and the Vintage Apron) that are perfect for last minute, stash busting gifts. There are also projects that may take a little more time (the scalloped baby blanket, the puppet theater, the charming handbag) but are sure to be treasured gifts. I have the artsy clutch and the lap quilt on my Handmade Christmas list, so be sure to check in for my step by step photos and results.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to expand their sewing book collection. I think it provides valuable information and great patterns for anyone who is just starting out. I also think it is a great source of inspiration for more experienced sewers. I really love this book.

If you are still not convinced that this book needs to be checked out, head over to the Bend the Rules Flickr stream to check out real life examples of the projects in the book. Don't forget that the fabulous Amy Karol is also the author of the amazing craft blog Angry Chicken. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll craft, it is a great read and I highly recommend stopping by for a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment