Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Handmade Christmas

In the spirit of my renewed interest in all things sewing and craft, the Hunky Hubby and I have decided to have an all handmade Christmas this year. We are both realists about this and realize that it may not be possible to hand-make every gift we give. We are also committed to giving only things that will be useful for the recipients. We could make everyone babyfood jar snowglobes or brooches with our faces on them but we wanted to leave some crafts available for Lil A to make when she is 5 or 6.

We have also decided to publish the list of gifts we are going to make as well as do our best to take pictures and post tutorials as we go along. We know that members of our family and friends read this blog so we won't say who is getting each gift but we wanted to share our trials and tribulations and show that it is possible to have a handmade Christmas that makes you proud. We have done tons of research and stolen tons of ideas from all of you crafty bloggers out there and we will do our best to give credit where credit is due. That said, if you stumble upon this blog and see an idea that seems the same as yours, please leave me a comment or email me with a link and I'll check it out. I have seen so many different blogs that sometimes I can't find my way back and thus I can't post the link. Trust me, I want to link to you, as your tutorials are bound to make much more sense than mine.

I also want to publish the gift list to keep both the Hunky Hubby and myself accountable. I don't want to spend the last 2 week before Christmas chained to my sewing machine, breathing in Speedball screen printing ink fumes, frantically trying to get finished in time. I want to stick to a schedule and I want you to send me encouraging disappointed emails and comments if I get too far behind.

So here we go, the master list. I will add the dates I intend to make each item as soon as I figure out our budget.

Waldorf Doll with Doll Clothes and a Doll Sling


Makeup bags: maybe a couple of these boxy little pouches from Three Bears or this box bag tutorial from Drago[knit]fly

Car organizer from the tutorial on The Mayfly

car garbage from Make it and Love it

Cashmere Lap Quilt

Corsage scarf using ideas from the Enchantresses3 (who did it on T-shirts)

(3) Cookbook and Cooking DVD and Apron

(3)Fabric necklace using a tutorial from Froogal And artsy clutch (Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew)


(5)Tissue holders using the oh so great tutorial on Skip to my Lou With some embellished pencils and magnets (earring/fabric)

Woolen leaf scarf (Sewing Green: 25 Projects Made with Repurposed & Organic Materials Plus Tips & Resources for Earth-Friendly Stitching) or Corsage scarf


(5) Stenciled t-shirt - the Hubby is in charge of this so I'll add some links when he decides what he is doing

Music portfolio - I am going to work this out myself, I'll post the tutorial


(3) Crayon roll - another Skip to My Lou gem Or pencil roll all with pad


(2) Wool bonnet or maybe fleece? - again this is one of mine - tut to follow

So there you go - my christmas list. I will post info as I go along. I am going to do my best to add links to the great vendors I use so that you can use their awesome stores as well.

Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Your blog looks great! Fantastic ideas and links. Best of luck with your Christmas gifts! I love the car organizer... SO going to do that!
    Leslie (Joanne's daughter)

    ReplyDelete