Sunday, September 13, 2009

Corsage Scarf Tutorial

So the very first Christmas project I have completed is the Corsage Scarf, which was inspired by the Corsage Tee tutorial at Enchantresses3. It turned out so much more pretty than I could ever have hoped and now I am the one with gift envy. After I get through all of my Christmas gifts I just may have to make one of these beauties for myself.

As promised I have taken pictures as I put this gift together, so here is the tutorial for any of you who would like to make one too.

Materials:

1/2 yard of cotton spandex
1 yard of 6 inch tulle
matching thread
scissors
water soluble fabric marking pen
quilters safety pins

Step One - Decide how long and wide you want your scarf to be - I chose 60 inches by 8 inches.

Step Two - Cut out a pattern for your petals - in this case I followed the Enchantresses3 directions and used a heart (see the link above). Trace your pattern onto your fabric and cut it out. I found that I could cut 4 layers at once if I secured the centre of the heart with a quilters safety pin. It isn't an exact science, just try to be as neat and uniform as you can. Don't forget to cut the hearts out of the tulle as well.

Step Three- Do some quick math to figure out how many rows of petals you want. I had 86 white petals and 72 tulle petals so I chose 8 rows, 1 inch apart with 6 petals in each row. I used my water soluble marker to mark one inch increments along the bottom 8 inches of the scarf.


Then I joined the marks to make lines.


I marked off 1 1/4 inch increments along each line as a guide for petal placement.


Step Four - Time to sew. I just lined the petal up with the mark and sewed 3 stitches forward and back. Every second row I alternated 3 stacked tulle petals with a white petal.


Close-up


A little further along - you can see the finished other side in the background. Oh and my beautiful Elna Supermatic - Cricket. I got her for $15 and after a little tune-up she runs as smooth as silk.


Done - now I clip the threads, front and back (what, cut as I go along, are you crazy?)


Voila.


The picture does not do the scarf justice. It is so pretty and fluffy and wintery. I would post a picture of me modeling the scarf but I don't want to completely ruin the Christmas surprise in case the recipient reads this posting.

I hope this tutorial makes sense, I strongly encourage you to make one of these for yourself or as a gift for someone else. I can totally see this in a myriad of colours and if you wanted to be really luxurious, make it in a bamboo jersey. Soft and ecological.

Have fun and please send me pictures if you make one, I would love to see your creations.


No comments:

Post a Comment