Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cashmere Lap Throw

This project comes from Sewing green by Betz White. I'm not going to include step by step instructions because I don't think it would be fair to publish for free what some one worked so hard to perfect and then put in a book. (Not to mention I don't want to be sued). This book is filled with great projects and well worth the cost. If you want a copy follow the link above and buy one from Amazon. If you don't, check your local library for a copy.

Basically I purchased 3 used cashmere sweaters on ebay.



When I received them I threw them in the washing machine on hot with some laundry balls. I also dried them on hot.


Cashmere doesn't really shrink or felt much but washing them ensures the quilt will be machine washable when it is finished. I then cut the sweaters into the largest rectangles possible.


Once I had all of the pieces cut, I decided on a pattern. I laid out the rectangles to make sure the pattern looked right.



The pieces were then pinned and sewn together. Betz White has a really good method for piecing the quilt - it is easy and the seams look great.


Lil'A loves to hang out under my sewing table while I am working. It used to be a problem when I had a sewing machine with a foot pedal but now that I have a knee lever it works out just fine.


Once I had my quilt top completely assembled I let Lil'A test it out - she loved it so much I had to pry it away from her to attach the backing.


I attached a backing of cotton velour, topstitched the entire quilt and I was done. It is absolutely gorgeous, so soft and warm. I am delighted with it and I think I may have to make one for Lil'A because she loves it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment