Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Welcome Autumn


Autumn is hands down my favourite time of year. The cooler weather, turning leaves, my birthday, Thanksgiving, Hallowe'en and the faintest hint of Christmas. The day that marked the September Equinox in Vancouver was warm and wonderful. Although the leaves and berries are turning...

...it was warm enough for bare feet (or one bare and one socked foot if you are Lil'a)

I was inspired by the book I recently read called "The Creative Family" by Amanada Blake Soule (aka Soule Mama) and decided to mark this year's equinox with an autumnal feast.

I made Panko breaded pork loin chops with caramelized onions and roasted Russian Purple potatoes, beets and gem yams. It was yummy.

It felt really wonderful to mark the occasion with a small celebration. We were all happy to have a reason to sit at the table with candles and a special dinner. When I walked up to the grocery store with Lil'a to pick up the pork chops, I meant to stop in to the Dollar store and pick up some Autumn decor but I was up there too early and the store was not yet open. I have to say that I am glad that it was. I was forced to look through the house for things that would make the table a little more special and I easily pulled together the apple fabric, candle and candle plate. It looked simple and pretty and not only did I not spend any money but I also do not have anything that I now have to find a home for (or throw out). Even though I am trying to be as conscious a consumer as possible, it is always the special occasions that trip me up. These are the times that I am most tempted to buy disposable goods for a one time use. I hope I can be mindful of my sense of accomplishment with this small celebration the next time I am tempted by decorations that I don't love but will do for the moment.

Happy Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment