Wednesday, March 11, 2009

One of those days...

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but as the title says, it was one of those days. The Darling Daughter is cutting two more teeth and it is making her sleep quite restless. Although she doesn't actually wake up in the night, her thrashing and pained crooning in her sleep keeps me awake. I just felt like I couldn't get ahead of anything yesterday - not the house tidying, not the laundry, not the meal prep - nothing. But the Darling Daughter was happy and we did read and play and work on this week's Learning Exercise from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June Oberlander.

It was really cold and since the Hunky Hubby is working on some pre-production for an upcoming TV pilot project I knew he would be home rather early (for him) so I thought I'd let him pick up the things I needed for dinner. Unfortunately he is still working out the kinks of the car he bought so he ended up having to replace his alternator on the fly, then on the way home the car lost power completely. He ended up figuring out how to get it home but needless to say he did NOT stop and pick up any groceries.

Oh and did I mention that daylight savings has wreaked havoc with whatever schedule I've come to expect from Darling Daughter. So...

When the Hunky Hubby walked through the door at 8:15 pm I had not had dinner, the Darling Daughter was still awake, we did not have the ingredients for the dinner I thought I was making (and not much in the pantry as it has been 2 weeks without a decent grocery shop) and I was almost defeated!

Fortunately I have been reading a fair few Frugal Cooking blogs lately and so I tied on my apron, set my brow and went to work. I threw a couple of turkey breasts sprinkled with Spike seasoning in the oven, diced some potatoes and yams into a 1 cm square and threw them in some water to boil and started sweating some onions in a large sauce pan with some butter and olive oil. Once the onions were a little browned I added 1/2 cup of half and half and 1/2 a cup of milk and some flour and brought them up to a rolling boil to thicken the sauce. Meanwhile I diced the Turkey breast, drained the potatoes and yams and opened a can of peas. I threw them all in the pot and let them intermingle. I grabbed a basil pizza crust from the freezer and brushed it with some olive oil and threw it in the oven.

Ten minutes later the Hunky Hubby and I were sitting down in front of two steaming bowls of Crustless Turkey Pot Pie with Basil Foccacia - YUM! The Hubs was so impressed he snuck out to the store to get me some chocolate while I was (finally) settling the baby down to sleep. I guess it wasn't such a bad day after all...and I have leftovers!

Tell me about a throw together meal you made!

No comments:

Post a Comment