Friday, April 24, 2009

A good day

Do you ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong? And yet even after a whole bunch of annoyances, setbacks and general crap, you still find yourself feeling pretty good? That's my day today.

The Darling Daughter had an awful night last night. One of those teething terror nights where you should have just given the poor kid some real medicine instead of the homeopathic stuff. But in the moment you keep thinking, maybe it's not her teeth, maybe she's just cranky, I can't medicate my kid for cranky. (Hey all you homeopathic companies out there, you should market Vitamin D drops as anit-cranky drops. Even if they don't work that way, parents everywhere would feel better. This is one time I think truth in advertising in over rated. Go on, you'll make a million bucks)

Anyway the poor thing only dropped off the sleep at 1:30 am and it was a fitful sleep and she was SUPER HUNGRY ALL NIGHT! So she just sleep/ate the whole time and I dozed lightly, ready to spring into action in case she reached full scream again. Thankfully she did not and when she was ready to get up the next morning it was 9:00 am. Not too bad really. And I felt fine - well rested in fact. I opened the curtains and it was a beautiful day. One of those rare, sunny, sparkling west coast weekdays. 

Now the Hunky Hubby is home today and usually I would be chomping at the bit to get out and enjoy the day but I knew he had to do some maintenence on the cars. This would be another thing that would ordinarily irritate me. Not that I don't appreciate his ability to fix the cars but sometimes I wish we could just bring the damn things to a mechanic like normal people. But today I was cool with it - almost zen like. Me and the baby just chilled, had an early nap, tried on some clothes (yes you can try on clothes with a 7 month old. It's fun but they can't be trusted to tell you if your butt looks fat in those pants.) When we were finally dressed I popped her into her buggy and we headed to the garage to check on Daddy.

He was just finished and was coming to see if we wanted to go for lunch. Did we ever, so we jumped in the car and headed to Milestones. Lunch was great but poor baby girl got her hand squished in her buggy sunshade during a vigourous game of peek-a-boo with Daddy. I was calm, I was cool. I scooped her up and comforted her. I didn't even reproach the Hunky Hubby but instead told him that it was totally something I would have done. 

On the way home we stopped at Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up some of Darling Daughters favorite Prunes and Oats and I realized when the Hunky Hubby had loaded the buggy into our car, my wallet had fallen out. At least that is what we thought happened. Again, I was calm, I was cool. I knew that I had a bunch of gift cards in my wallet and that replacing all of my ID and all of the baby's ID 3 weeks before we fly to Quebec would suck (and might be impossible) but I was totally chill. Thankfully the Valets remember the family with the cute baby and had nabbed my wallet right away. We packed ourselves back into the car and headed to get my wallet. 

On the ride back home, the Darling Daughter fell asleep and as I watched her peaceful little face I wondered what it was that made today so good. It certainly hadn't been an easy day. I was sleep deprived, we had to deal with broken cars, squished hands and lost wallets. Yet through it all I felt a-okay. Was it the sunshine? Was it the Bob Marley we listened to at breakfast? Whatever it was I wish I could bottle a little of it up and keep it in my back pocket for the days that aren't so great. Where nothing really goes wrong but nothing really goes right either. On those days I could open that bottle and take a deep breath of the air from this day and remember the magic and think "ahh- a good day"

No comments:

Post a Comment